23 November 2006

Life in Boudha


I haven't posted much, as I have admittedly been settling down into my existence here in Boudha, Kathmandu. I thought that since I live around this amazing stupa which I circumambulate every day (whether willingly or not... everyone is bound to be drawn into the whirlpool of energy that moves around it) I should post a picture of it for you all to see. (Since I do not have my digital camera here with me, I pulled this picture off of google images.)
I have been working daily on my ISP (Independent Study Project), which has been evolving into a topic that I could spend years researching... 1 month is simply not enough time. It involves ritual and prayer in Tibetan Buddhism, as a comparison to the Western perspective and practice of Buddhism (as a philosophy or religion of meditation), and a lot of focus is being placed on the power of the spoken word (the Word as creative energy). The topic is nearly impossible to explain and covers so many different angles... I suppose I do always tend to choose the abstract and challenging things, always thinking they are so simple before I immerse myself in them. I am excited to see how my ISP concludes, since everyday I discover some new factor or interpretation to work into it.
Have been socializing a bit with the SIT Nepal group (same study abroad organization, different focus: Nepal instead of Tibetan Studies), but mostly keep to my individual daily routines or try conversing with locals. When I do have a meal with the Nepal students, however, we find ourselves discussing what difficulties we predict we'll face upon returning to America (especially since that time is approaching so soon!). It puts me in an interesting state of mind, as I am sad to leave here, excited to see people I've missed, worried I'll fall under a depression (and thus, preparing myself so that I will face it healthily and assertively), and generally trying to soak in each and every aspect of this existence that I adore so much so that I may carry it with me wherever I go, and never forget.
I have also been taking time out to read novels (something I haven't done for a while, as I have been sucked into the 'literature' of academia). I enjoy the south-asian (particularly Indian and Nepali) style of novel writing... and sometimes ask myself if any of it has a subconscious influence from the prominence of spirituality and meditativeness of these cultures(?). If you are looking for a good novel to read under a dim light at bedtime, I suggest The God of Small Things. I cannot remember the author's name off the top of my head, but know it is an Indian woman. I enjoyed it very much (perhaps better able to since I understood some of the subtle Indian contexts).
Eat some pumpkin pie for me today! It is the only thing associated with Thanksgiving (other than the literal giving of thanks/appreciation, of course) that I am fond of. Even more so: I am VERY fond of the fact that I do not have to be present for the day-after-thanksgiving retail rush of materialistic Americans blindly checking off christmas lists. For your own sake... hide tomorrow, or go to the park, or a homeless shelter to volunteer... we have to counteract such energy in this world.
::(stepping off my soap box now, haha!)::
Be well!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i miss you i miss you i miss you i miss you i miss you!!!! i just found this tonite. im so happy to have some sort of info about you. i miss you terribly. i can wait to see you when you come back here. i dont want to say "back home" because it seems to me you have found your home. i love you!! I MISS YOU!!! lexi

26 November, 2006 20:07  
Blogger beckyfein said...

i am overflowing with happiness over how very much you are enjoying your time abroad. we spent so much time this summer speculating about how wonderful it was going to be (because we knew it would be), and overcoming your anxiety to go there, and i love that it is so perfectly counteracted with your reluctance to ever leave there. nepal is undoubtedly going to be part of your future path physically and metaphysically. i think you might need to write a book after this.
i love you and miss you tons!
keep living and loving everything, you are an inspiration to all.

28 November, 2006 01:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home